first_img By Jon Zimney – March 24, 2020 0 408 Pinterest Facebook Google+ CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Concern about coronavirus exposure at Bremen Boys and Girls Club This undated electron microscope image made available by the U.S. National Institutes of Health in February 2020 shows the Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, yellow, emerging from the surface of cells, pink, cultured in the lab. Also known as 2019-nCoV, the virus causes COVID-19. The sample was isolated from a patient in the U.S. On Thursday, March 5, 2020, Tennessee’s Department of Health Commissioner Lisa Piercey confirmed the state’s first case of the new coronavirus. (NIAID-RML via AP) A person hospitalized with COVID-19 potentially exposed more than 100 people, mostly children, to the virus at the Bremen Boys and Girls Club on March.The incubation period for the illness is thought to be 14 days, and The South Bend Tribune reported on Monday, March 23, that marked two weeks since the potential exposure and, so far, no one known to have been exposed had reported symptoms.The superintendent of Bremen schools described the patient to the Tribune as a woman in her 40s who is “a wonderful member of the community and that the ordeal has been a struggle for her and her family. Twitter Facebook Pinterest Twitter Google+ WhatsApp WhatsApp Previous articleWinnebago stops production, paying 5,000 workers for 2 weeksNext articleStay-at-Home Orders are in place, and government offices are making changes Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.last_img read more

first_imgA proposal for a new set of figures to be reported by Swiss Pensionskassen has been rejected by the Swiss government for cost reasons.Two years ago, consultancy PPCmetrics was commissioned by the Swiss government to look into the financial figures currently reported by Swiss Pensionskassen.It was to determine whether these figures gave an indication of the true economic situation of a pension fund and which indicators might make their reports more comparable.The final report by PPCmetrics has now been published (see link below), and includes a proposal for new key figures to be reported by the Pensionskassen. The suggestion was that these would allow the supervisory authorities to devise a traffic-light system to identify and monitor those pension funds whose financial sustainability is compromised. However, the government has decided it will not make any new set of key figures mandatory.“For the government it is questionable whether the profit of a unified model would justify the costs,” it said in a press release.Lukas Riesen, partner at PPCmetrics, thought it was question of political will more than costs.“The government has decided against increased transparency,” he told IPE.He added: “The basic information for the figures we proposed is already being calculated by the pension funds – it would have been a simplification to concentrate on a few meaningful figures.”In their report PPCmetrics found that many figures currently reported by the pension funds were not really helpful.Current standard indicators like the funding level do not take into account the technical parameters applied to calculate it or the ratio of active to retired members in a fund.Riesen does not think any supervisory body will go against the government’s position by prescribing the use of the proposed new set of key indicators. “But the economic reality will force many pension funds to look at their true financial status,” he said.According to him many pension funds and also some supervisory authorities that are “taking risk management seriously” are already calculating economically true funding levels and other amended benchmark figures.“Our set of key figures takes a longer-term look at the financial situation of a pension fund both from the perspective of a provider as well as that of an active member,” he explained.Under current regulations pension funds are free to report funding levels based on any parameters they choose, but an economically true valuation would mean they have to report a lower funding level.,Supporting documents Click link to download and view these files PPC Metrics Feasibility Study (with English language summary)PDF, Size 1.49 mblast_img read more

first_imgMisleading ParliamentPublic Health Minister Dr George Norton has been committed to the Parliamentary Committee of Privileges for misleading the National Assembly in August last when he was grilled by Opposition members over a contract that had been inked with Linden Holding Inc for the storage of drugs and medical supplies.Public Health Minister Dr George NortonSpeaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton Scotland, informed the House that he believes that a prima facie case has been made out against the Minister and as a result, ordered that the matter be dealt with at the Committee of Privileges.The matter was presented to the House in a motion submitted by Opposition Parliamentarian Dr Frank Anthony and seconded by Chief Whip Gail Teixeira.In presenting the motion to the House, Dr Anthony recalled that during the August 8, 2016, sitting of the National Assembly during consideration of Financial Papers, Dr Norton deliberately misled the House with regards to the rental of a Sussex Street property.Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton ScotlandDr Anthony told the House that the Public Health Minister misinformed the House when he said the reason no procurement process was followed in acquiring the facility was because it was required on an emergency basis.Dr Anthony charged too that the minister also misled the House when he said that the Sussex Street property did in fact meet with International Standards and that drugs and medical supplies were already being stored there.The minister has already issued a public apology conceding that he had in fact erred in his responses to the House at the time.The minister, according to Dr Anthony, had charged that the rental of the Sussex Street property was in fact a cheaper option over a bond owned by New Guyana Pharmaceutical Corporation.Dr Anthony reminded the House that the NEW GPC facility was in fact provided free of cost during the tenure of the People’s Progressive Party/Civic administration.The Opposition member recalled too that Dr Norton had misinformed the House when he said that the cost of renting the NEW GPC facility was for $19 million.According to Dr Anthony, “The Minister in doing so deliberately attempted to justify the cost of the rental for the Sussex Street property owned by the Linden Holding Company at $12.5 million per month and in doing so misinformed the House.”The Opposition MP recalled too that the contents of the multi-year contract with Linden Holding Inc have in fact contradicted the statements made by the minister in the National Assembly.He used the occasion to remind that the contract was in fact for a professional office and not a bond.The contract, according to Dr Anthony, “does not stipulate anything about the provision of facilities to meet the requirements for the storage of pharmaceutical and medical supplies.”The brouhaha that erupted following the disclosure had led to President David Granger establishing a Cabinet Subcommittee to investigate the matter.That committee had concluded that the contract should be terminated or re-negotiated since a similar facility could have been found at a cheaper rate.Guyana Times had managed to garner more in-depth information – from a reliable source – of the Confidential Cabinet Report that was handed to President Granger in August 2016, for his Executive Action.In the report, the Cabinet Subcommittee found that—contrary to earlier pronouncements by Government spokespersons—the value of the lease with Linden Holding Inc should be reassessed, as it is likely that a similar facility could be obtained at a lower rate.Dr Norton at the time told Parliament that the building was in fact already being used by the Ministry of Public Health to store drugs and medical supplies.This publication was told that under examination by the Cabinet Subcommittee, Minister Norton said his statement was based on the reliance of the information provided to him by the ministry officials “to the effect that the bond was ready and in use.”In mid-October, more than two months after he was found to have misled the National Assembly, Dr Norton apologised to the House over his misleading remarks.Norton used the occasion of ‘Statements by a Minister’ to offer the apology to the President, Prime Minister, Speaker and other members of the National Assembly when the House came out of its annual recess.The apology was however informally rejected by sections of the political Opposition.last_img read more

first_imgA prostitute boasted to Gardai how she had spent €200 on perfume just hours before they busted her brothel.The two prostitutes were working in Letterkenny.Ann Antonia Ramirez Bueno, 41, was one of two prostitutes who had arrived in Letterkenny, during the recent busy Donegal International Rally weekend. The two women, from the Dominican Republic and Equador, had set up the brothel at an apartment at Larkin’s Lane.When Gardai raided the brothel at 9.05pm on June 20th, they found one man in a state of undress.The women admitted they were using the apartment as a brothel and said they were not being trafficked but were there of their own free will.When Gardai searched the premises, they found €2,000 in cash as well as 300 Krona.“They have been around,” commented Garda Inspector Goretti Sheridan referring to the foreign currency.Inspector Sheridan added that Ms Ramirez Bueno from the Dominican Republic, had revealed she had spent €200 on perfumes that “saying how great it was how much she was making.”Another woman Melaie De La Torre, 30, from Equador, also appeared before the court charged with knowingly allowing her premises to be used as a brothel.Defense solicitor Gordon Curley told Letterkenny District Court that both women now simply wanted to leave Ireland.He added that the women were working as prostitutes to raise money for their families back in Spain.Judge Paul Kelly asked what the women had been living on since being released on bail since June 21st.Mr Curley said the women had returned to Spain since being initially arrested but had returned to Ireland because they wanted to face the charges.Judge Kelly gave each woman €250 to travel to Dublin and to get a flight to Spain within 72 hours.He also ordered them to keep the peace for 12 months on their own bonds of €250 each.PROSTITUTE BOASTED SHE WAS SO BUSY SHE HAD SPENT €200 ON PERFUMES was last modified: July 15th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:brothelcourtdonegalletterkennyprostitutessexlast_img read more