first_imgAdvertisement Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick PostRape Crisis Centre WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Twitter WhatsApp Print Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Emailcenter_img Previous articleFinal call for Ireland’s best astronomy photographs from LimerickNext articleLimerick social entrepreneurs invited to apply for funding and support from Social Entrepreneurs Ireland Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Photo by Volkan Olmez on Unsplash Trigger Warning.RAPE Crisis Network Ireland (RCNI) has launched a new national survey aimed at survivors of sexual violence and those who are supporting survivors throughout the country, including Limerick and the Midwest.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Rape Crisis Midwest, based in Limerick City, is a network member service of the RCNI.The survey focuses on survivors’ experiences of counselling and psychotherapy in a world that has been changed utterly by the pandemic. It will be live until April 12th.  So far, nearly 300 survivors across the country have completed it. The survey can be accessed on rcni.ie.It forms a critical part of RCNI’s new comprehensive programme of work called Counselling Survivors in an On & Offline World aimed at ensuring that there is standardised and specialist counselling for survivors of sexual violence and harassment fit for a post-pandemic world in Ireland. RCNI believes that remote trauma counselling is here to stay as part of a new hybrid model of on and off-line clinical support for survivors.The survey comes at a poignant moment in time also with the focus on the safety of women and girls following the murder of Sarah Everard in London.“The survivors’ survey we are launching this week is central to our understanding of how counselling is working, or not working, for them, particularly over this past tumultuous year,” said Dr Michelle Walshe, who is the RCNI Clinical Programme Lead on the global leading project.“We are asking survivors and people who are supporting them to fill out our easy to use survey. It will take less than 10 minutes, yet those 10 minutes will feed into the development of training that can ensure that counselling in this country is completely fit for purpose for the new hybrid world we are entering into,” she continued“It also means that survivors will have real choice in how they want to receive counselling in the future. As our survey to date has shown, there are huge advantages to on-line counselling, but there are things we have to address and know more about to be certain that it is working.”The survivors’ survey follows a major survey of over 750 counsellors and psychotherapists throughout Ireland, and with the collaboration of all the main organisations providing counselling and training.It found that 79% of respondents said that it was important to have specialism in sexual violence. However, less than half said that their knowledge of misogyny and gender roles was good, indicating a gap between understanding of root causes of sexual violence and the desire for specialism and standardisation in training.The programme emerged from the experience of the initial Covid-19 lockdown a year ago when Rape Crisis Centres like the one in Limerick had to be evacuated and when trauma counselling services had to move on-line, almost overnight.The initiative is supported by Rethink Ireland, through the Innovate Together Fund, a collaboration between Rethink Ireland the Department of Rural and Community Development. The Fund supports charities’ innovative responses to the Covid-19 crisis that will provide lasting change.The survey is available here. LimerickNewsSurvey to hear from sexual violence survivors across Limerick and the MidwestBy Staff Reporter – March 25, 2021 75 Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Facebook Linkedin Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limericklast_img read more

first_img* LMC condoles with late Izu’s family, Shooting StarsEmmanuel Addeh in YenagoaYouths of Ijaw descent under the Ijaw Youth Council, (IYC) yesterday demanded that the military officers that killed Shooting Stars Football Club (3SC) defender, Joseph Izu and other youths from the Okarki community last Sunday must be fished out and made to face the law for the extra-judicial actions. “We also demand that the military officers who carried out this extra-judicial murder be brought to justice. President Buhari and his government’s claim to the rule of law is on trial”, the IYC noted.The IYC, headquartered in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, said this yesterday while reacting to the shooting to death of the 24-year-old footballer who was allegedly killed by soldiers attached to the Joint Task Force, a special military outfit fighting militancy in the region.The group further accused the Federal Government of treating the indigenes of the Niger Delta like animals and people of little importance.Barely 48 hours after the sad incident occurred, the JTF’s Operation Delta Safe has not reacted officially to the killing as promised on Monday when newsmen first asked for their response to the allegation.Spokesman of IYC, Eric Omare, insisted that the duo of Izu and Oko Osuekina were shot at very close range.The Ijaw group disclosed that enquiries into the death of the late 3SC defender, and one Oko Osuekina of Okarki Community, Ediro/Ogbologolo Clan in Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers State showed that there was no justification for the killings.While expressing condolences to the victims’ families, the IYC warned against continued military action in the Niger Delta which it said had led to several unnecessary deaths.The group argued that the killing of the two men was symptomatic of the disdain with which the military treated the Niger Delta people.“The corpse of Oko Osuekina, who was shot by the military officers on his forehead at the same time with Izu Joseph, was found floating on the Okarki River some few hours ago,” said the group yesterday.According to the IYC, its leadership has been informed by the IYC Clan Chairman of Ediro/Ogbologbo Clan, Mr. Solomon Harrison, that the entire Okarki Community had become tense since the incident.“The IYC is at a loss as to the justification for the military impunity in Okarki Community. The military is behaving as if the Ijaw people of Okarki are not human beings. Our people are being treated like animals that must be killed,” the group maintained, while decrying the alleged lack of professionalism in the handling of militancy in the oil-rich region.Meanwhile, Chairman of the League Management Company (LMC), Shehu Dikko Monday afternoon spoke to the grieving Pa Reuben Izu, father of late Shooting Stars defender.While commiserating with Pa Izu, Dikko assured the family that the LMC will support them and also spoke to the General Manager of 3SC, Rasheed Balogun.On reading the report on a social media platform, Dikko had placed a telephone call to Pa Izu and afterwards to Balogun, the General Manager of 3SC.“This is quite a shocking development. Players have been central to the new awakening of passion for the NPFL and all of them should live to see this league achieve full blossom.“Well, death is also inevitable and will eventually come to all of us.“On behalf of the entire NPFL family, please accept our heartfelt condolence and kindly extend our expression of sympathy to the family of the late Izu”, concluded the LMC chairman on a philosophical note.He also charged Balogun to keep the LMC updated with information on the plans for the burial.The late player joined 3SC in the 2013/14 season from Bayelsa United and had just completed his third season at the Oluyole Warriors.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more