first_imgA 21-year-old man was charged with voyeurism Nov. 21 for allegedly pointing his cell phone camera at a student in a Zahm House bathroom stall, according to court documents obtained by The Observer. The man was previously enrolled at the University and has been identified as Benjamine Wears.On Sept. 22, around 3 p.m., a student told Zahm rector Robert Francis that while using a first floor restroom in Zahm, he saw the person in the stall next to him holding a cell phone near his ankles with the camera application open. According to the probable cause affidavit, the cell phone was “pointed into [the student’s] stall under the divider between the two stalls” and the student could see the camera application and images on the screen.Thinking a friend was trying to prank him, the student yelled “what the [expletive]” but the person did not leave the stall. The student waited until the occupant left the stall and eventually saw a man with black shoes and a green backpack with a plastic bottle exit and “bolt” out of the bathroom without washing his hands, court documents said.The student chased after the man but didn’t catch him, and later that day reported the incident to the Zahm rector, according to court documents. A police report was filed that afternoon.The next weekend, the student saw the suspect, “who identified himself eventually as Benjamine Wears by both name and by ND ID card,” according to the probable cause affidavit. Police on Oct. 4 interviewed Wears, who said several times he had not been at Zahm.When asked why he tried to swipe into Zahm in August, even though his card wasn’t able to open the door, Wears said he was testing to see if his ID really wouldn’t work on the dormitories, court documents said. When asked about a similar incident that happened in the Hesburgh Library, Wears said he was not responsible for the incident.After executing a search warrant for Wears’ phone and searching it, the Notre Dame Police Department did not find any videos of the inside of the bathrooms. However, the location data of the phone was consistent with Zahm House around the time of the incident, according to the court documents, and the phone’s data shows the camera application was open at a time consistent with the student’s description of events.According to the probable cause affidavit, the location data for Wears’ phone was consistent with the library around the time of the other incident, and the location data shows he left the library a few minutes after the time of the incident.Data from Wears’ phone allegedly shows he had visited websites where men were unknowingly recorded in bathrooms, according to court documents. However, there is no evidence he ever uploaded any videos to the sites.Wears faces one charge of voyeurism and had his initial hearing on Dec. 3., Jessica McBrier, the St. Joseph County prosecutor’s office spokesperson, said. Wears’ attorney, Michael Tuszynski, did not return a request for comment by the time of publication.University spokesperson Dennis Brown provided a statement on the alleged incident on behalf of Notre Dame.“The student is not enrolled at the University, and local authorities are addressing the matter,” Brown said.Tags: Hesburgh Library, NDPD, voyeurism, Zahmlast_img read more

first_imgNewly-crowned PFA Player of the Year Gareth Bale dismissed talk of a summer transfer to Real Madrid as “speculation”. “It’s a massive honour,” the Welshman said. “To be voted by your peers is one of the biggest things in the game. It’s great to win it and I am delighted.” Ronaldo scooped both the young player and the main award in 2007, some 30 years after Andy Gray become the first professional to do so. Bale won the senior award two seasons ago when he shot to fame with a series of scintillating displays domestically and in the Champions League. Now he wants to take Spurs back in to Europe’s biggest club competition, but his manager Andre Villas-Boas claims he may lose the player if they do not qualify for the Champions League. Bale insists he is not paying any attention to those who claim he is bound for the Spanish capital, though. He said: “I just take no notice, it’s all speculation, I can’t do anything about it. “I just concentrate on my football and play as well as I can and do my best for the team.” Tottenham forward Bale picked up his second Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Player of the Year Award on Sunday. The 23-year-old, who has scored 29 goals for club and country this term, also won the Young Player of the Year award, making him the first player since Cristiano Ronaldo to do the double at the prestigious awards night at the Grosvenor Hotel in central London. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more