first_imgIt was a place junior Declan Sullivan crossed dozens of times performing his duties as a student videographer for the football team. It was a place the Sullivan family chose as a meeting point after Notre Dame football games. It was a place within sight of Sullivan’s fatal accident almost one year ago. Now, it is a place of memorial. About 75 people gathered Saturday afternoon before the football game against USC to dedicate a memorial to Sullivan, who died last October after a scissor lift from which he was filming football practice fell. A plaque, two benches and some trees now sit between the Guglielmino Athletics Complex and the LaBar Practice Field. Sullivan’s mother Alison addressed the group gathered to honor her son’s life. “We didn’t envision anything that could be more perfect,” Alison said. “I think if [Declan] could see this, he would be in awe. He would say, ‘Gee, this is amazing. I love this. It’s epic.’” The group chuckled at the use of the word “epic,” a word that Declan strived to embody in his life. “He always wanted to be epic, and I think he would look at this and say, ‘Indeed, it is epic,’” Alison said. University President Fr. John Jenkins led the ceremony and asked God to bless the memorial. “Lord God, we ask your blessing,” Jenkins said. “May it be a place of memory, a place of prayer, a place of consolation and a place of hope, so that all who spend time here remember Declan and be inspired by his life.” Jenkins then joined members of the Sullivan family and Vice President for Student Affairs Fr. Tom Doyle in sprinkling holy water on the memorial. Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick also presented the Sullivan family with the flag they helped raise at the opening football game of the year, and representatives from video services gave the family a framed photomontage in the shape of the Notre Dame monogram. Inscribed on the plaque is a poem written in honor of Declan and a shamrock logo with Declan’s initials inside. Alison said both components are particularly meaningful. The poem was written by a family friend and refers to Declan’s life as “never ordinary.” Alison said Declan often quoted a line from the movie “American Beauty” when a minor character said, “There is nothing worse than being ordinary.” “That was kind of his mantra,” Alison said. “The reference in here to ordinary is something I think Dec would really get a kick out of.” Alison said Declan would also appreciate the shamrock logo. “From the time Declan was a little boy, he was enamored with shamrocks,” she said. “It’s very significant because it’s a symbol that he really liked.” Jenkins told The Observer the memorial was an opportunity to honor Declan’s memory. “The loss of Declan was a tragedy to all of us in the Notre Dame family,” he said. “This [dedication] was a chance for all of us to come together in a place dedicated to his memory, to memorialize it and to give thanks for his life.” Jenkins also expressed gratitude to the Sullivan family. “The Sullivan family, from the day Declan died to today, have been such an inspiration to all of us, and it is particularly meaningful for me to bless this place with them,” he said. “We are grateful to them for helping us work through the tragedy of Declan’s death.” Alison also thanked Jenkins and Doyle for their help with the memorial and throughout the year since her son’s accident. “I wanted to thank [Jenkins] for giving us a lot of leeway with this and really letting us do what we thought would best memorialize our son and brother,” Alison said. “And [Doyle] for really helping us every inch of the way with everything from the moment of the accident through the past year.” Megan Doyle contributed to this report.last_img read more

first_imgAlthough the Blais-Shewit administration has achieved many smaller goals so far, it has not yet accomplished much of what it promised to have done at this point in its term and has had to re-evaluate and adjust the timeline of several of its major platform points. The group has set a solid foundation for the rest of its term through outreach and relationship-building, but it remains to be seen whether or not it can follow through with the projects it has started.Grade: BTags: 2017 Student Government Insider, blais-shewit, Callisto, sexual assault, Student government, sustainability, University Health Services As the first half of their term draws to a close, student body president Becca Blais and vice president Sibonay Shewit said they have been working hard to integrate student feedback into their initiatives.“We’re still in the process with the [student government] website and a few other things, but just [focusing on] changing the image of student government and going to Moreau classes,” Blais said. “We’ve been working with a lot of business classes now lately and just getting the name brand out there, redoing the social media.”In order to increase their visibility and collect student input, the administration has conducted a “Town Hall On-The-Go” initiative and visited every hall council, Shewit said.“Like we said when we were campaigning, people don’t think student government does anything, and part of us addressing that was focusing more on working on what students are saying that they want,” Shewit said. “ … I think we’ve found if we don’t put so much absolute effort on our communications and getting out to students, we can’t expect them to know what’s going on in our office.”Throughout this semester, student government has also worked to foster connections with the South Bend community, junior and chief of staff Prathm Juneja said.“The area I think we’ve had our strongest focus in is the community engagement and outreach portions,” he said. “Student governments often neglect the South Bend relationship and I think our director, [senior] Adam Moeller, has done just the most incredible job there.”While the administration has not yet reached a partnership with the Awake campaign — a campaign that would donate five cents to a local community partner every time a student brings a reusable cup to a coffee vendor on campus, which was one of the administration’s main platform points — Juneja said student government has accomplished some of its other sustainability initiatives. These achievements, he said, include a Styrofoam ban, and working with campus dining to implement anaerobic digestion, an alternative to composting.“We’re still working on the Awake campaign, but in the meantime, our director of sustainability was able to change the way the Huddle treats plastic bags,” Juneja said. “They were able to get people to stop offering bags. You used to always get a bag with your stuff at the Huddle — we were sending out thousands of bags a week and that’s not happening anymore.”The cabinet has also implemented several of its diversity and inclusion initiatives, such as auditing resident assistant training and hiring a third diversity and inclusion officer, Blais said. In addition, the University’s statement of diversity and inclusion will also be incorporated into prospective students’ acceptance packages.“They do the initial acceptance letter and then they follow immediately with your package and [the statement] is going to be in the package,” Blais said. “We’re still pushing for it to be in the initial acceptance letter, but we have the second one confirmed.”Though the University Counseling Center (UCC) had already begun to discuss internal reviews, Blais said student government also played a key role in ensuring that the UCC underwent evaluation by the Jed Foundation, which is currently wrapping up its review.While they have implemented certain items from their platform, however, many of the administration’s initiatives regarding sexual assault remain in the works.According to their platform, one of Blais and Shewit’s top priorities was to implement Callisto — an online tool which allows students to submit time-stamped reports of sexual assault — by fall of 2017. However, Callisto is still being evaluated by the committee for sexual assault prevention (CSAP) and Blais said they hope to implement it in 2018 at the earliest.“We had to go over the technology logistics and go over data security, over is it is right for Notre Dame?” Blais said. “Are there competing apps or services or anything, which we found there aren’t — things like that. So it is actually moving forward with a decision soon, which is extremely promising and exciting, especially for such a large new service to the University.”Blais and Shewit also planned to create a way for students to call Notre Dame Security Police by typing a key code into buildings. However, they are now instead looking into implementing a safety app which will allow students to contact Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) on the go, Blais said.“If they don’t pilot a new app — because there are challenges with looking at a new app — then they would either embed it directly into ND Mobile or they want to have a direct call button in ND Mobile for NDSP,” Blais said. “So we’re looking to bring the emergency call system to your pocket.”After further conversations with University Health Services, Blais said, the cabinet also reevaluated its goal of implementing a sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE) rape kit administration program on campus, a platform point passed down from the Robinson-Blais administration.“In terms of safety, it’s actually better to have [rape kits] at the hospital because those nurses are trained to use them,” Blais said. “And we could train our nurses but they administer them more often, so they have experience with them. You can’t mess up a rape kit, and they’re very easy to mess up. But we have transportation from campus to those rape kits that’s free of charge.”Although the cabinet may not accomplish every item on its platform, Juneja said, it will work to advance each initiative as much as possible.“I don’t think we will achieve every single bullet point on that platform, but I do think that we will leave on April 2 and feel like at least we started pushing on everything,” he said. “So I don’t think we’ll have any regrets.”last_img read more

first_img Associated Press VIRUS OUTBREAK-BULLS DOCUMENTARYDocumentary on Jordan and Bulls to air soonerUNDATED (AP) — ABC/ESPN has moved up the premier of the 10-part docuseries “The Last Dance” featuring Michael Jordan and the 1990s Chicago Bulls to April 19. The docuseries will be shown on ESPN on Sunday nights and on Netflix outside of the United States.It was originally scheduled to be released in June but sports fans have clamored on social media for the series to be moved up in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak and with most sporting events canceled or postponed.The news was announced on Good Morning America. March 31, 2020 VIRUS OUTBREAK-MINOR LEAGUESMLB to support minor leaguers through MayNEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball is extending its financial support to minor league players through May while suspending their contracts because of the new coronavirus pandemic.Minor league contracts have a provision allowing them to be suspended during any national emergency.MLB is giving allowances to the minor leaguers, who are not being paid salaries. The Bulls won six NBA titles during the 1990s and were led by Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr and Dennis Rodman.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 During a conference call to discuss league business after the annual meetings were canceled because of the new coronavirus pandemic, the owners also awarded one of those extra games to CBS and one to NBC.Only the teams with the best record in the AFC and NFC will get a bye under the new format; the top two teams skipped wild-card weekend in the past. NFL MOVESBengals release cornerback KirkpatrickCINCINNATI (AP) — The Cincinnati Bengals have released starting cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick. It’s another move to overhaul the Bengals’ secondary after a 2-14 season. MLB ADVANCE SALARIESVeteran players to get $4,775 per dayNEW YORK (AP) — Gerrit Cole, Mike Trout and other veteran major leaguers will receive $4,775 per day in advance pay for the first 60 days of the season during the stoppage caused by the coronavirus, a total of $286,500.That’s just 2.5% percent of the $193,548 the New York Yankees pitcher and Los Angeles Angels outfielder were scheduled to earn each day from their $36 million salaries, tied for the major league high.  The daily total was obtained by The Associated Press after it was confirmed by MLB and the players’ association following their agreement on how to proceed during the stoppage. Update on the latest in sports:center_img Kirkpatrick was a first-round pick in 2012 and started 67 games in eight seasons. He missed 10 games last season with a knee injury.He also was involved in the most significant play of coach Zac Taylor’s first season. He bumped into A.J. Green while breaking up a pass during a 7-on-7 drill in the first practice of training camp. Green landed awkwardly and suffered a severe injury to his left ankle that required surgery and sidelined him for the season.In other NFL moves:— The Seattle Seahawks cleared a chunk of salary cap space by waiving safety Tedric Thompson and releasing veteran tight end Ed Dickson. Both moves were expected after each player seemed to fall out of favor with the Seahawks. The moves will clear more than $5 million worth of cap space for Seattle.— The Chicago Bears have re-signed safety DeAndre Houston-Carson to a one-year contract. Houston-Carson has played primarily on special teams since the Bears drafted him out of William & Mary in the sixth round in 2016.  The grasscourt season lasts only six weeks and Wimbledon is staged when daylight hours are the longest in Britain. The club has acknowledged the short window available to it and ruled out playing without spectators.The French Open has been postponed from May to September.The brother of two-time Wimbledon singles champion Andy Murray was asked whether he thinks a cancellation is more likely than a postponement. He told BBC Radio 4: “I think so. I think for them it is difficult to move the tournament back for many reasons, because you are running into other tournaments.”VIRUS OUTBREAK-SWIMMERHungarian Olympic swimmer has coronavirus Major and minor league seasons are on hold due to the new coronavirus. Weekly minimum salaries on full-season minor league teams range from $290 at Class A to $502 at Triple-A over the five-month season.  TENNIS-WIMBLEDON-MURRAYTwo-time champ expects Wimbledon to cancelLONDON (AP) — Two-time mixed doubles champion Jamie Murray says he believes Wimbledon will be canceled.The All England Club board will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the fate of the 2020 tournament. BELGRADE (AP) — Hungarian Olympic swimmer Boglarka Kapas says she has tested positive for COVID-19.The 26-year-old Kapas writes in an Instagram post that she had to submit to testing in order to return to training.She says her first test was negative but a second test showed she has the virus. She is staying in quarantine at home for two weeks.Kapas says “I don’t have any symptoms yet and that’s why it’s important for you to know that even if you feel healthy you can spread the virus.”Kapas won gold in the 200-meter butterfly at the 2019 world championships in China and a bronze medal in the 800-meter freestyle at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNFL-PLAYOFFSNFL owners vote to expand playoffs by one team per conferenceUNDATED (AP) — NFL team owners have voted to expand the playoffs by one team in each conference for next season. NHL-QUARANTINENHL extends quarantine guidelines for players and staffUNDATED (AP) — The NHL is extending its self-quarantine recommendation for players and staff to April 15.Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the extension in an email to The Associated Press. The league had previously sent out a memo recommending self-quarantining until April 4.So far, four NHL players have tested positive for COVID-19. The league and teams are hoping to get players together to skate in small groups once the isolation period is over. State, provincial and local lockdown regulations across the U.S. and Canada could push back the opening of team facilities.last_img read more

first_imgPERSONAL PROPERTY – FURNITURE, GLASSWARE, KITCHENWARE, AND LOTS MISC ITEMSONLINE PERSONAL PROPERTY AUCTION  – VINTAGE AND MODERN FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD ITEMS. Follow the link the online auction for a complete list and pictures of all items. http://theurer.hibid.com/catalog/63155/personal-property—furniture–glassware–kitchenware–misc?tab=0Auction ends Thursday, August 24, 2015 at 8 p.m.Pickup is on Friday, August 28, 2016  from 4 to 8 p.m. at 308 N. C Street, Wellington.Âlast_img