first_imgBerlin, VT – More than 100 Vermont non-profit organizations have received grants totaling $205,000 from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) in the first half of 2008, the states largest health insurer announced today.The funds are granted to improve health education and promote healthy lifestyles, and for direct services. BCBSVT executives cited the connection between improved health and lower health insurance rates as the incentive for its support and collaboration with community-based organizations receiving the grants. Individual grants typically range between $250 and $2,000.Partnering with like-minded organizations seeking to improve the health of our citizens benefits all of our customers and the state, explained William R. Milnes, Jr., president and CEO. Evidence clearly supports the value of these programs for improving health, and healthier Vermonters require fewer visits to the doctor, thereby helping to contain the cost of insurance premiums.In addition to direct grants, the insurer also administers the Vermont Caring Foundation, a non-profit foundation it created in 2005 to enhance the health and well being of Vermonts children. The Foundation granted nearly $14,000 in the first half of the year to four projects that promote physical activity and combat obesity.Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is the state’s oldest and largest private health insurer, providing coverage for about 180,000 Vermonters. It employs over 350 Vermonters at its headquarters in Berlin and branch office in Williston, and offers group and individual health plans to Vermonters. More information about Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is available on the Internet at www.bcbsvt.com(link is external). Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is an independent corporation operating under a license with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans.last_img read more

first_imgThe Nuclear Energy Regulatory Agency (Bapeten) has reported that two people living in South Tangerang at the Batan Indah housing complex in Banten, where radioactive materials were recently found discarded, had tested positive for exposure to Caesium-137.“Two out of nine people were exposed to Caesium-137 but the level was still under the limit, so the exposure won’t cause any bodily harm,” Bapeten chief secretary Hendriyanto Hadi Tjahyono said on Friday as reported by Antara news agency.Hendriyanto said nine people had undergone a thorough examination, seven of whom were deemed clear, while two others had been exposed to the highest dosage level of 0.12 milli-sievert. “The nine people were randomly selected. They are living in residential areas near the contaminated area,” he said.He claimed that human beings could handle radiation of 1 milli-sievert per year, meaning that the two South Tangerang residents had been exposed to less than 10 percent of the dosage limit.He also said that the exposure was so low that their levels of Potassium-40, a natural radioactive product present in all bodies, was five to 10 times higher than their exposure to Caesium-137.Read also: ‘Don’t panic’: Nuclear agency urges controlled reaction to radiation in South Tangerang housing complex Hendriyanto said that although two people had been cleared, Bapeten would continue to monitor and reexamine them.“The point is that they have experienced no problems but we will have to check on them in a month or two,” he said.Bapeten discovered dangerous substances had been dumped in a vacant lot next to a volleyball court in the housing complex during its regular detection survey on Jan. 30- 31.A week later, the agency found materials believed to be the source of the radiation in the lot and confirmed that the dangerous substance was the highly radioactive Caesium-137, which is commonly used for industrial purposes. The discovery generated allegations that the radioactive materials came from industrial sources and not the nearby nuclear reactor, as it angered energy and urban activists and experts who demanded that authorities conduct a thorough inspection on the reactor.Hendriyanto said Bapeten and the National Police had been investigating to find those responsible for the waste disposal. “We fully support the criminal investigation,” he said. (syk)Topics :last_img read more