first_imgOLYMPIA — Washington voters on Tuesday approved a plan to privatize liquor sales and dismantle controls that have been in place since Prohibition, siding with retailing giant Costco in the costliest initiative campaign in state history. Unofficial results Tuesday night showed the measure with 60 percent support in early returns. Costco Wholesale Corp. had committed $22 million to supporting the measure — $6 for every registered voter — as executives portrayed the Issaquah-based company as a crusader for consumers and said that it could take years to make up the investment in the initiative. The company also harnessed support from restaurants, groceries and other retailers.“We are very grateful to all of our coalition partners across the state,” said Joel Benoliel, senior vice president and chief legal officer at Costco. “The voters overwhelmingly demonstrated that facts trump scare tactics.” Wholesalers provided much of the opposition funding, as retailers will now be able to bypass them and buy product directly from producers. The new rules go into effect in June, and about 1,000 people who currently operate the state’s system will lose their jobs. Costco had backed another privatization measure that failed last year with 47 percent of the vote. Acknowledging that the 2010 proposal wasn’t ideal, supporters returned this year with a plan that includes more revenue for state and local governments, as well as stricter controls on which stores can sell liquor.last_img read more

first_imgNote, we weren’t looking for page views, necessarily, but we got them. Who knew FOLIO:’s Web site would become a forum for debating abortion rights issues? Since posting this story Monday (“Pro-Life Groups Outraged Over Vogue Photo Spread”) about how a photoshoot for a Vogue column on partial-birth abortions has angered religious and pro-life groups—who say it makes the controversial procedure appear fashionable—thousands of people have stopped by to read it, and many have posted passionate comments rationalizing all sides of the issue.Our story was even picked up by Page Six today, which may or may not be a first for FOLIO:. last_img

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Farmers Market will be open this Sunday, March 10, 2019, from 2pm to 4pm, in the Wilmington United Methodist Church (87 Church Street).March 10 Farmers Market Lineup:Vendors:Arrowhead FarmFrom Sea To You Sea Glass PicturesGrateful TastesGrazing Platter BoardsHannah’s HerbalsKC Styles Jewelry & AccessoriesMa & Pa’s PicklesPolish Prince PierogisPurple Carrot BreadSeafood ExpressSusan Anton LMTSweet Lydia’sAdditional Attractions:Kids Craft (Squishies) at the Kids TableBillerica Cat Care Coalition at Community TableLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWhat To Expect At The Wilmington Farmers Market On Sunday, September 8In “Community”What To Expect At The Wilmington Farmers Market On August 11In “Community”What To Expect At The Wilmington Farmers Market On August 18In “Community”last_img read more

first_imgTwo-and-a-half years after he met with a crippling road accident that cut short his career, veteran Malayalam film actor Jagathy Sreekuamar was awarded Rs 5.90 crore by a private insurance company as compensation. The documents regarding the award of compensation was handed over to the wheelchair-bound actor at his residence here by top officials of the insurance company. The actor and his family members had earlier clinched an agreement with the insurance company at an Adalat conducted by the District Legal Services Authority. Jagathy met with a major road accident while travelling in a car at Thenhippalam near Kozhikode in March 2012, when he was on his way to a shooting location at Kodagu in Karnataka. This followed prolonged treatment in hospitals.last_img

first_imgIt was an opportunity for theatre enthusiasts to learn and gain hands-on experience from the masters of theatre when the 18th Bharat Rang Mahotsav’s “Master Class” witnessed the presence of legendary theatre personality Joy Michael on Friday in the national Capital. The session was moderated by Sumit Tandon.The famous director has been associated with theatre for decades and holds a big contribution in establishment of one of the oldest theatre group “Yatrik” in 1964.  Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The session also held the association of Yatrik’s very first members: Sushma Seth, Salima Raza and Kusum Haider. Struggling with the ailing health, Joy Michael spoke few, but very valuable words of wisdom to audience. “It is a great pleasure to be here. I love working with young people. It is always a pleasure to watch them succeed and come back to share with us.” Sharing their memories regarding the conception of their reparatory group, veteran actor Sushma Seth mentioned: “We were a group of passionate young people who just wanted to perform theatre. We did not have any resources but Joy always kept her home open for rehearsals.”   Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with Netflix“To make children learn something, theatre is the best medium. It is the most apt medium of understanding something,” she added. Providing a vote of thanks to the eminent guests and Joy Michael on behalf of National School of Drama, Director Prof Waman Kendre said: “It is impossible to thank Joy Michael for her work in theatre. I think that National School of Drama would prefer to be at her loan forever.”last_img read more

first_imgKolkata: The Election Commission has instructed the District Election Officer (DEO) of West Burdwan to register two separate FIRs against Babul Supriyo. The Commission issued instructions after Supriyo had allegedly snatched a video camera from an official deputed by the Commission who was capturing videos as part of the surveillance that is being carried out by the Election Commission.The district official has been directed to file an FIR for the incident. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAnother FIR would be registered against him as he failed to submit any convincing reply as to why he released and played the controversial theme song of his party after being banned by the Commission. Meanwhile, the Commission has sought a report from the district administrative officials in West Burdwan on the incident in which BJP activists led by Asansol sitting MP Babul Supriyo stormed into the room of an Officer-in-Charge at the local police station and threatened him. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateA complaint was lodged with the Election Commission following which the DEO has been asked to submit a report on the entire incident that unfolded in Asansol. Supriyo had triggered controversy on a number of occasions since the notification of the Lok Sabha elections. He was earlier show-caused by the Election Commission after he released a theme song for his party. In the most recent incident, Supriyo has been accused of threatening an on-duty police officer at Kulti police station. The BJP leaders in the district claimed that some cops from the local police station ransacked the house of a BJP leader on Saturday evening. Women members of his family were also heckled by the policemen, alleged BJP. Many BJP leaders including women members of the party gheraoed the police post on Saturday night. The police officer told Supriyo that he respects him and urged him to talk properly. But Supriyo allegedly threatened him and said he would not seek any respect from the officer.last_img read more