first_img03 May 2016When Laduma Ngxokolo’s mother Lindelwa taught him to knit, she sparked a love of fashion that inspired him to become a designer. Today her son’s collections are showcased on the catwalks of Europe’s fashion capitals. And earlier this year he walked away with the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa Award at the 2016 Design Indaba. These are some of Laduma Ngxokolo’s designs from his women’s collection. (Image: MaXhosa by Laduma)The beginningWhen he was in Grade 8, Lindelwa sat Ngxokolo down and taught him how to use the family knitting machine. Knitting became his hobby, and changed his life. He went on to study textile design and technology at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) in Port Elizabeth.“I was influenced greatly by my mother as I grew up doing craftwork and beadwork with her,” he told digital publishing company Between 10 and 5 in an interview. “I believe that that was the beginning of my design experience.”The researchHis 2010 thesis project revolved around innovation. Inspired by traditional Xhosa patterns he designed a range for initiates to wear. This project was the first stitch in his knitwear company – MaXhosa by Laduma – and also his winning submission to an international design competition sponsored by the Society of Dyers and Colourists.“This gave me the opportunity to speak about my project at Design Indaba 2011, which led to a lot of positive press coverage. It ultimately helped me establish my knitting brand in February 2011.”His own Xhosa initiation, in 2011, confirmed to Ngxokolo that there is a market for his brand. “I felt that the outfits for the initiation ritual were too westernised. Xhosa initiation is a traditional ritual and even though we are all living in a modern time, I felt that there should still be an element that resembles the Xhosa culture.” The designs of MaXhosa by Laduma are showcased on international catwalks, such as in Milan, Italy. (Image: MaXhosa by Laduma)Ngxokolo’s creations are inspired by his Xhosa background and the local mohair industry. Visits to the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum helped him discover the richness and creativity of Xhosa cultural beadwork. Incorporating those designs into his own work have helped him celebrate and preserve his own cultural identity.“I also decided to use mohair from my hometown and discovered that Port Elizabeth has the biggest mohair industry in the world, and has the biggest wool industry in Africa. So I decided to take advantage of the local material, which is usually exported.”Many accoladesNgxokolo was fortunate in his choice of university. He arrived in the year the institution set up an Art and Design Incubator. NMMU provided him with seed capital to start MaXhosa, but his ongoing success is also a result of his talent and hard work.His sister Tina, also a designer, has become one of Ngxokolo’s collaborators at MaXhosa. According to the MaXhosa blog, he has also worked with several Norwegian entrepreneurs, and given the chance to showcase their joint creations in Norway.In 2014 he won a WeTransfer-sponsored two-year scholarship to study for a Masters in Material Futures at London’s prestigious Central St Martins of the University of the Arts.That same year he received a standing ovation for his Buyel’mbo women’s range at Johannesburg Fashion Week. He described this local appreciation as overwhelming, even more than being identified as 2015’s Vogue Italia Scouting for Africa prize winner.According to the international news broadcasting agency BBC, most of his sales are from Merchants on Long in Cape Town. Ngxokolo also has an online store.South Africa.info reporterlast_img read more

first_imgBJP on Friday said the raids on CWG Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi’s premises are an “eyewash” and demanded that others “including those in the PMO” should be probed in connection with alleged irregularities in Games projects.”Kalmadi is a symbol of corruption. Taking action against him is welcome. But he should not be made a scapegoat. His masters who took the decisions and sanctioned the funds should also be punished,” BJP President Nitin Gadkari told reporters in Jammu.He named the Prime Minister’s Office, the Cabinet, Cabinet sub-committee, Group of Ministers dealing with the CWG issues, expenditure committee, among others as those who were involved in the preparations for the mega event and said they should all be probed.”The Jawaharlal Nehru stadium could have been renovated at a cost of Rs 100 crore but Rs 980 crore was spent on it. Spending Rs 70,000 crore on the event was sheer waste of money. This is nothing less than a loot. 50 per cent of the people in this country earn less than Rs 20 per day,” Gadkari said.Asked about the Prime Minister, whose resignation was demanded by the BJP at its rally against corruption in New Delhi on December 22, Gadkari said, “Directly or indirectly” the permission for CWG projects and even the 2-G Spectrum allocation came from his office.”Action against A Raja (former Telecom Minister) and Kalmadi is an eyewash. Action against them is not enough. A letter written by Raja to the PM which has been published in newspapers shows the latter’s permission was taken,” Gadkari said.advertisementParty spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy earlier said, “The raids are too little, too late. This is what the BJP thinks on the development”.Party chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said BJP is “not very happy with this delayed raid, but would certainly expect a prompt, fair investigation and nabbing of the culprit as promised by the Prime Minister.””Why so much of a delay, why so much of documents being allowed to be misplaced deliberately. I think this explanation is required….so much delay in raiding the premises of Kalmadi, who almost became a disgrace for the country. It is a very sorry state of affairs,” he said, adding “None of the guilty should be spared including those who have given quick approval to the loot of public money”.With inputs from PTIlast_img read more

first_imgDelhi & District Cricket Association’s newly elected secretary Vinod Tihara declared on Tuesday that senior opener Gautam Gambhir will be back as “government nominee” in the board.The Indian cricketer was cornered during the 17 month regime of High Court-appointed administrator Justice Vikramajit Sen.The two-time world champion cricketer was appointed government nominee last year but Justice Sen made it clear that he won’t be allowed as long as he remains an active cricketer.However, after Rajat Sharma panel swept to victory in the DDCA elections, secretary Tihara made it clear that they have grand plans for Gambhir.”The elected members will look after administrative side but cricketing decisions will be taken by cricketer. Gautam is one of the biggest names in Delhi cricket. It’s only natural, he will play a major role. You can put it on record, Gautam will take all policy decisions with regards to cricket,” Tihara said during an interaction at the Kotla.”How can we forget that after the KP Bhaskar incident, he was summoned for a disciplinary hearing and made to sit outside and wait like a criminal. That’s not how you treat a celebrated cricketer,” the secretary said.Tihara made it clear that Gambhir’s decision will be accorded due respect and it will be him, who would decide on who all will constitute the Cricket Affairs Committtee.Currently Madan Lal, who lost the presidential elections, is the head of CAC but it is unlikely he will continue.Incidentally, it was Lal who headed the disciplinary committee, that handed a four match suspended sentence for Gambhir’s fracas with coach KP Bhaskar during 2016-17 season.advertisement”We want former players like Mithun Manhas to also get involved in cricketing decisions along with Director of Cricket Sanjay Bhardwaj,” Tihara said.(With PTI inputs)last_img read more

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Ex-AZ striker Kenneth Perez: We can beat Man Utdby Paul Vegas23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer AZ Alkmaar striker Kenneth Perez believes they can beat Europa League opponents Manchester United.AZ host United on Thursday evening.“They have a very good chance,” Perez told FOX Sports. “They are my favourite, as far as I’m concerned. “I saw Manchester United against Leicester. It was so bad. I think AZ is a favourite, but on paper it remains Manchester United, so you have the feeling that it is a tough opponent. “If AZ is not impressed by that, they have a very big chance of winning.” last_img

first_img“The feeling of losing a child is one that no mother should ever have to experience,” begins Courtney Stodden in a heartfelt new video for PETA, which she filmed shortly after her own miscarriage.“That’s why it breaks my heart to think of Corky — an orca who has lost all seven of her babies, the last of whom was found floating lifeless at the bottom of a tank at SeaWorld.”Video: Courtney Stodden Gets Emotional Talking About a Mother’s LossStodden goes on to describe how Corky was captured off the coast of British Columbia 47 years ago, separated from her mother and all the other orcas in her pod, and sold into the entertainment industry. Since then, she has spent her life within the cramped, chemically treated confines of a concrete tank, enduring trauma, loss, and sadness. But as Stodden reveals, Corky has a chance to go home — if SeaWorld retires her to a seaside sanctuary in her home waters, where she could feel the ocean currents and communicate with her brother and sister, Fife and Ripple, who are her only surviving family and swim freely nearby.“SeaWorld, take it from someone who has experienced great personal loss: Corky has suffered enough,” says Stodden. “Please, do the right thing and let her go home. The time is now.”For more information, please visit SeaWorldOfHurt.com.last_img read more

first_imgCALGARY – Encana Corp. has an agreement to sell its San Juan assets in New Mexico to a Denver-based company for nearly $615 million.The Calgary-based oil and gas producer’s San Juan assets include lands that produce the equivalent of 5,400 barrels per day of oil.Denver-based DJR Energy, LLC says the US$480-million acquisition will about double its land in the San Juan Basin to 350,000 net acres (141,639 hectares) and increase its production to more than 6,000 barrels per day.DJR is an exploration and production company formed in April 2017 with funds from Trilantic Capital Management LP, Waveland Energy Partners and Global Energy Capital.The sale is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2018 with an effective date of April 1, 2018.Companies in this story: (TSX:ECA)last_img

first_imgNew Delhi: A 19-year-old youth was allegedly shot dead in Barakhamba Road on Saturday. Police have arrested the deceased’s friends in the case.The investigation revealed that during the incident, one of the accused was making a video in which he was flaunting pistol. According to police, the deceased, identified as Salman, died after he was fatally wounded by a pistol inside a Creta car. Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) Madhur Verma said that they have arrested Sohail, Aamir and Sharif in the case. Last night, Salman along with his friends Sohail and Amir went out for a drive to India Gate. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”Sohail was making Tik Tok video (a media app for creating and sharing short videos) in which he was flaunting pistol. But the pistol went off shooting the deceased,” said DCP New Delhi. A fact came out that after the incident, the two friends panicked and drove to a relatives’ place. “We are investigating the sequence of the event,” police said. DCP further said Aamir was found involved in the destruction of evidence in the case. Sharif was arrested for disposing the blood-stained clothes, the officer said. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsPolice further said that on Saturday night, the three friends went in the car. Later, the cops were alerted about the incident from the hospital where deceased was taken. Following which they reached the hospital. After questioning the accused, the police arrested them and also reportedly recovered the country-made pistol. It is also being suspected that one of the accused Sohail had driven bleeding Salman from Ranjit Singh flyover, where the shooting took place, to LNJP hospital. The investigation is also going on whether one of the accused changed clothes. Salman’s body has been kept at the hospital and post-mortem will be done on Monday. Police are also investigating whether the bullet was fired accidentally or with an intent to kill. The investigating agency is probing how they procured the pistol. The city police have registered a case under appropriate sections of IPC. According to police, Salman lived with his parents in New Jaffrabad area. His father has a businessman of leather jackets. Salman was the youngest member of his family and has an elder brother and a sister. According to the deceased’s family member, recently Salman’s elder sister got married and the family was living happily. “Salman was helping his father with the business. This incident has broken us from inside,” said a family member.last_img read more

The Ohio State women’s tennis team travels to Ann Arbor, Mich. on Friday to take on DePaul University after receiving its third-straight NCAA tournament bid.Posting a 19-9 record on the year, the No. 34 Buckeyes were rewarded for their season by receiving one of the tournament’s 33 at-large bids on Tuesday.Coach Chuck Merzbacher was pleased with his team’s season and said the selection didn’t come as a surprise.“We had one of the toughest schedules that we have ever had,” Merzbacher said. “We had 19 wins and I think we were rewarded for playing that tough schedule.”Coming off a strong performance in the Big East tournament, which ended with a loss in the finals, the No. 30 DePaul Blue Demons will be making their first-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament.Despite DePaul’s lack of tournament experience, unanimous All-Big Ten selection Kirsten Flower believes the two teams are equally matched.“I think we match up very well. Obviously they are a great team, but so are we,” Flower said. “We had a good showing at the Big Ten tournament and I think this is just a great opportunity for us.”The Buckeyes and Blue Demons will hit the courts at the University of Michigan on Friday afternoon for the chance to advance to a second-round match with either Michigan or Illinois-Chicago on Saturday.Although OSU is happy with its berth in the tournament, Merzbacher maintains that the goal of his program is to advance.Flower reiterated her coach’s sentiment and said she believes that this team has what it takes to do just that.“We have really good depth all up and down the line,” Flower said. “We can play, so if everyone shows up, we have a great chance of doing well and our goal is set for Georgia.”If the Buckeyes are able to advance past this weekend, the team would travel to Georgia for the Sweet 16. However, both Merzbacher and Flower insist they must take it one match at a time.“We have to focus on the first match because it is really the only one that matters,” Flower said. “It’s a one-and-done tournament — you lose and you’re out, so you have to focus on the first match.”Nearly two weeks removed from its last match, Flower still has great confidence in her team.“We’re tired of practicing,” she said. “We all want to play and I think we’re ready.” read more

first_img Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram Melbourne’s taxi industry took to the steps of Parliament on Sunday to protest its competitor Uber.The demonstration was organised to raise awareness of the current illegal status of the ride-sharing service in Victoria. Spokesperson for Victorian Taxi & Hire Car Families Sandy Spanos told Neos Kosmos she was pleased with the turnout, which saw hundreds of drivers and their supporters rally together.“What was amazing for us, the second generation, was to see so many elderly who attended with their children; all the nationalities fighting together,” she said.At this stage, the app-based enterprise has been legalised in NSW, the ACT and WA, but is outlawed in Tasmania, QLD, SA and Victoria.“They [Uber drivers] pay no GST, no tax, no relevant licences, insurances or registration. These issues have been brought before the courts who deemed Uber illegal; our transport minister states they are illegal, our regulator deems them illegal, but they continue to flout our laws, in effect decimating our industry, which is law abiding,” said Ms Spanos.She added that Uber’s growing popularity has resulted in a loss of income for many taxi drivers, leading to grave consequences for both drivers and their families.“There are tens of thousands of families who are losing a lifetime’s work, when they purchased licences from the government and paid upwards of $500,000. “We were all of the belief that the law must be upheld. We don’t need new legislation – it exists.”Committed to the cause, Ms Spanos says taxi drivers are at their wits’ end and will not hesitate from blockading the city at regular intervals if need be.last_img read more