first_imgWestern Bureau:A second-year medical student from Kenya and a Jamaica public service employee took top honours in the second running of the Black River 5K Run/Walk race on Sunday.Edgar Muganzi strolled away with the top male award after crossing the finish line in 18 minutes 30.18 seconds, while the top female prize went to Juliet Reeves, who stopped the clock in a respectable 27:49.26.Muganzi said after his race that he was delighted to have finished first in his inaugural attempt.”This was a beautiful course. I had no problems with it, and I am very happy to win here,” he said.”I am just so happy to perform and add my part in raising funds for the treatment of cancer,” Muganzi added.Eighty-seven runners and walkers took part in the event, an almost 50 per cent increase in registration over last year, and a pleased David Morris, president of the Black River chapter of the St Elizabeth Chamber of Commerce, stated as much.”I am of the impression that this was a great event, but we put in a real effort to get the word out, and it’s definitely much improved from last year. It’s a growing event that we are proud to be part of,” Morris said.Part proceeds from the event will go towards assisting the Black River branch of the Jamaica Cancer Society.Muganzi was chased across the line by Marcell Stewart in 18:57.65, while Anthony Danvern was third.In the women’s section, first-time entrant Reeves of Savanna-la-Mar, Westmoreland, won ahead of Elinor Daniel, 28:15.04, and Kadian Myers, 36:08.08.Carl Barrett took care of business in the men’s walk, posting 37:16.39. Jon Pierre Cavannah was second with Anthony Graham in third.Cecile Barrett was the female walk winner, with Marsha Alexander taking second, just in front of Janette Kaloo.last_img read more

first_img Tags: KCCA FCkirinya jssMusa Esenuvipers sc Musa Esenu spent last season on loan at Kirinya JSS (file photo)Reigning Uganda Cup winners KCCA FC have completed the signing of free agent-Musa Esanu on a two year deal.Esenu who was a Vipers player last season was declared a free agent by the Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) after a breach of contract was sighted his deal at Kitende.The Kasasiro Boys confirmed his signing via a video that was uploaded on their official Twitter handle on Monday morning.In the video, Esenu who is donning a Kasasiro Boys jersey expresses his delight to be joining KCCA FC.“It is a big opportunity for me and it’s now up to myself to work hard to see that i reach where i want to be. I really feel so good and humbled that i have joined this huge club, says Esenu in the Video.KCCA FC have been on the hunt for a new striker ever since after Muhammad Shaban and Derrick Nsibambi left the Lugogo side.Shaban and Nsibambi’s departures meant that Mike Mutebi had been left with only Patrick Kaddu as the only recognized out and out striker.It was highly anticipated that Mike Mutebi’s side would sign Tony Odur but the deal fell through due to differences in monitory valuations of the player.Esenu will be looking to kick-start his career at Lugogo after a frustrating couple of years at reigning league champions, Vipers SC.He joined the Venoms in 2016 at a fee believed to be in the region of Shs 30 Million failed to tie down a starting spot in the team from day one.He spent the entire last season on loan at Kirinya Jinja SS where he scored nine league goals and a handful of assists as the Jinja based side finished fifth.Comments last_img read more

first_imgAn August 4 directive from the IGP of Kashmir Zone in Srinagar to shut down landlines to prevent the “misuse of data services” drew attention in the Supreme Court on Tuesday.Senior lawyer Vrinda Grover, for Kashmir Times editor Anuradha Bhasin, asked a three-judge Bench led by Justice N.V. Ramana why landlines were shut down to stop Internet data services in the Valley. She asked why landlines were not kept open so people could call each other in times of need.“Can restrictions on free speech be used to extinguish the very right of free speech?” Ms. Grover asked in court.The communication from S.P. Pani, IGP, Kashmir Zone, on August 4 to the BSNL authorities said: “In view of the apprehension of misuse of data services by anti-national elements, which is likely to cause deterioration in the law and order situation, you are directed to shut down the landline services in the entire Kashmir Valley except airport (old/new) with immediate effect till further orders”.Though the actual text of the IGP’s order refers to the shutting down of only landlines to stop data services, the subsequent affidavit filed by the J&K government in the Supreme Court on October 23 claims the IGP had banned not only landlines but also Internet and mobiles. The affidavit said a similar order was passed by the Jammu IGP too. It said the snapping of communication services was confirmed by the Principal Secretary of the J&K Home Department in terms of the Temporary Suspension of Telecom Service (Public Emergency or Public Safety) Rules of 2017.The August 4 communication was one of the bunch of documents the J&K government had produced in the apex court to prove the communication lock-down was duly authorised.Besides this, Ms. Grover said police authorities had ordered a reduction of data speed from 4G to 2G in the Valley. However, the Internet was shut down completely all these days.The Justice Ramana bench is hearing a batch of petitions challenging the restrictions imposed on movement and communication in J&K. It has been 90 days since restrictions were imposed in J&K following the withdrawal of the special status and the reorganisation of the State of J&K into two new Union Territories — J&K and Ladakh.The J&K government said the right to free speech is not absolute. The State can impose reasonable restrictions to protect sovereignty and integrity.The affidavit argued that restrictions could also include total prohibition. Anyway, the affidavit said telephone and mobile services have been restored and there is no restriction on movement in “99% of Jammu and Kashmir”.last_img read more